How to Downgrade Galaxy S Advance I9070 from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Gingerbread
In January Samsung started rolling out the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the international variant of Galaxy S Advance with model number I9070 which was launched with Gingerbread software. The Jelly Bean update brings new Touch-Wiz Nature user interface (UI) and other notable features for the Galaxy handset.
alaxy S Advance users who are unhappy with the upgrade which has made the device slower and laggy and now wish to go back to the glorious Gingerbread version, may follow our step-by-step guide to downgrade the device from Jelly Bean to Gingerbread. The tutorial has been successfully tested on an 8GB variant of Samsung Galaxy S Advance. However, users having the 16GB model also can download the required firmware from the link given below and roll back to Gingerbread software.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to connect it with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) This tutorial may wipe all the data of the phone. Therefore, create a backup of all data. If the device is having a custom recovery such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup the data using the same since it creates a complete image of the existing phone set up.
4) The device should have above 80 per cent of charge.
5) The phone should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The Gingerbread firmware as well as the downgrade guide is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070. Applying this to any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone.
Steps to downgrade Galaxy S Advance I9070 from Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean to Android 2.3 Gingerbread
1) Download the Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware file for Samsung Galaxy S Advance to the computer. The zip file contains Odin3 tool and the PIT file. Now extract the downloaded zip on the desktop
2) If the Galaxy S Advance is a 16GB version, then download the re-partition file with .pit extension. File name GT-I9070_EUR_XX_16G_20111228_KL8.pit
3) Switch off the phone and then boot it into Download Mode. Press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together for three seconds until a warning screen appears. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
4) Open the firmware package and launch Odin3 v1.85 as administrator
5) Connect the Galaxy S Advance to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the phone. Once the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM port will turn yellow
6) Click on PDA button in Odin and navigate to the firmware folder and select the file with CODE in its name.
7) Click the CSC button and select CSC_GT-I9070-MULTI-CSC-OLBLD1_SEC_KEY_8G.tar.md5
8) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file depending on the phone's memory: 8GB or 16GB. Since the tutorial is conducted on an 8GB version of the phone, therefore, the GT-I9070_EUR_XX_8G.pit file was used
9) Verify that the Re-Partition, Auto Reboot and F Reset Time options are selected in Odin window
10) Double check everything and then click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation. Wait for some time until the installation process is completed
11) Soon a PASS message with green background will appear indicating the firmware installation is successful. The phone will then reboot automatically
When the Samsung Galaxy S Advance boots up successfully, it should be running on Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
In case users wish to install the official Gingerbread firmware according to their regions, then click here for region specific firmware and then install it using Odin. In order to find firmware for a particular country, open the firmware site and press Ctrl + F and then type the CSC code for the country. Click here to find CSC code for particular country.
However, there is some difference between the aforementioned tutorial and the procedure to install regular firmware. Click here for step-by-step guide to install official firmware on Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070.
Click here for step-by-step guide to unroot Galaxy S Advance I9070 to stock firmware.
[Source: The Unlockr]
********* YOUR OWN RISK **********
**** reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before proceeding users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the requirements below ****